Over Sixty years ago men, women, boys and girls began a Christian journey through the soon to be formed St. James Temple. They left footprints upon the sands of time and stamped indelible memories in the minds of those who followed.
In 1938, the Lord moved upon Elder W.H. Davis to come south and begin a work for Him. Obeying the voice of the Lord, Elder Davis brought the gospel to Inman, South Carolina.
Unable to settle in Inman at that time, Elder Davis went back to Ohio and commuted back and forth for a while. During the absence of Pastor Davis, Sis Effie Rookard was left as acting pastor. Services for the few members were held in a little storefront building, in 1942, Elder and Sis Davis relocated to Inman. The first frame building was built, this establishing St. James Temple.
The rapid growth of membership inspired Alice Smith to donate money that helped purchase the first frame building. The members rallied together faithfully to purchase needed materials. Effie Rookard donated the first chairs. The first pulpit furniture, pews, alter and lights were brought from a church in Greer, SC. The first minister of music was Otis Miller. Tutt Miller was the pianist with the "Millers Sisters" as vocalists.
During the years of 1956-58, different family members purchased from 100 to 1000 bricks to change the frame edifice to brick, which still stands today at 4 Walnut Street. The name was then changed to Greater St. James Temple. Renovation plans moved the baptismal pool upstairs and Sunday school classrooms downstairs. The first organ was also purchased at that time
Elder Davis was soon elevated to District Elder and later to Bishop. He became widely known throughout the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World. He continued to work faithfully at Greater St. James until his death in April 1974.
The vision the Lord gave Bishop Davis continued as Elder Walter and Sis. Edith Choice was installed as Pastor and fist Lady on July 9, 1974. They both worked faithfully to fulfill what had been previously taught. Sis. Edith Choice was called home to be with the Lord in February 1984.
God sent Evangelist Mattie Deck from Johnson City, Tennessee to unite with District Elder Choice. They to worked faithfully side by side thus establishing a membership of approximately 200 members that are baptized in Jesus name and filled with the Holy Ghost.
After Elder Choice was elevated to District Elder in the Carolina State Council, he and Evangelist Choice continued to serve God's people. Being sensitive to the voice of the Lord, Elder Choice was moved to build a new edifice for the saints. In April 1984, the church began a building fund program. This vision soon came to fruition. In April 1996, the first service was held in the new church. Although it was Pastor Choices' dream that the new edifice be built, he never had and opportunity to walk into the new church. District Elder Choice died April 13,1996. The first service held in the new church was his funeral. Pastor Choice was able to see a videotape of the sanctuary prior to his death and immediately proclaimed: " it far exceeded the vision".
Evangelist Choice acted as interim pastor of Greater St. James for one year and in May 1998, Dr. Craig High of Austin, Texas was elected the third pastor of Greater St. James Temple.
Greater St. James vision is continued by Dr. Craig S. High and Evangelist Teresa Y. High The Pastor Installation Service was held Sunday, the Twenty- Eighth day of June Nineteen Hundred and Ninety-eight At Four O'clock in the Afternoon.
District Elder Craig High is the sixth of seven children born to William "Buddy" and Pearl High in Canton, Ohio. He is married to Evangelist Teresa High and they have one daughter, Whitnye Cherise.
District Elder High is the former pastor and founder of Greater Peace Christian Church, a growing inner-city ministry in Austin, Texas. He was also a missionary pastor in Plymouth, Montserrat, British West Indies.
Dr. High served the Texas state council as District Elder and also as secretary of the executive board. He was the general secretary of the 36th Episcopal District of the P.A.W.- the Eastern Caribbean Council of Nations, under the leadership of Bishop Leo C. Smith.
District Elder High earned his Bachelor and Masters degrees in Theology and a Doctorate in Religious Education from United Theological Seminary of Orlando, Florida.
Dr. High has traveled extensively throughout the United States as a national evangelist for the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, Inc.
Evangelist Teresa High is the daughter of Bishop Richard and Sister Arlene Young. Evangelist High is the oldest of three children born to this union in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Saved at the age of ten, Evangelist High began working in Bethel Pentecostal Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan. She has worked in capacities such as choir director, Sunday school teacher, and with the Youth Department.
Evangelist High has and Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts from Grand Rapids' Junior College, and has also attended. The Institute of Christian Studies in Austin, Texas. Sis. High acknowledged her call to preach the Word of God in 1983.
In June of 1997, District Elder High, Evangelist High and their daughter Whitnye moved to Spartanburg, South Carolina, where Dr. High assumed the duties of pastor-elect of Greater St. James Temple. We pray that God's richest blessings will overshadow us and that His anointing power will forever be resident with us.
Suffragan Bishop Craig High served the Greater St. James Temple congregation until January 2008, when he accepted a position at Bethesda Temple in Dayton, Ohio. Upon his departure, he highly recommended Elder Richard Landrum as his successor.
On February 25, 2008, the congregation voted to install Elder James Richard Landrum, Sr. as the fourth Pastor of Greater St. James Temple Holiness Church.
Pastor Landrum is anointed by God and acknowledged his call to preach God's Word in 2000. Pastor Landrum wrestled with his calling for approximately thirty-two years. His first call came in the rice paddies of Vietnam; where he received the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star for heroism against hostile forces during his tour of duty.
From his early adult years, Pastor Landrum could be found in the presence of the men of God. He often visited the sick and shut-in with his former pastors, as well as, accompanied them when they visited homes to take communion.
His early years of association with Greater St. James Temple began in the early '70's as an armor bearer for the founder of Greater St. James Temple, Bishop William H. Davis. At that time Bishop Davis was the Diocesan over the South Eastern Council which included South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia and Florida.
Prior to being installed as Pastor, Elder Landrum was a Trustee on the Executive Board, Sunday School Teacher for the Singles Class, and former President of the Greater St. James Temple Brotherhood and Usher Board. At the state level, he served as Regional Director for the State Brotherhood Department. Currently Pastor Landrum is the Chairman of the License and Credential Department for the South Carolina State Council.
Pastor Landrum holds the Ministerial and Ordination Certification from Aenon Bible College. He also holds an Associate's Degree in Accounting from Cecil's Business College.